Whatever UPI payment making application you use (Google Pay, PhonePe, Paytm), you need a smartphone and an internet connection to use it. But what if we told you that you can make UPI (Unified Payments Interface) payments without internet connection and even without a smartphone. National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) has come up with an initiative called UPI 123Pay which allows people using feature phones to make payments without internet.
What is UPI 123Pay?
According to NPCI, UPI 123PAY is a direct payment system for feature phone users who can use the Unified Payments Interface (UPI) payment service in a secure manner. Through UPI 123PAY, feature phone users can now do a large number of transactions based on four technology options. These include calling interactive voice response (IVR) numbers, app functionality in feature phones, missed call-based approach and proximity based payments.
– You can pay on feature phones with and without an app. Along with apps – Some feature phones/handsets have apps installed by mobile phone manufacturers that allow you to make payments without using the internet. All you have to do is register on the feature phone app and after that you will be able to make payments easily. Without the app, you can make payments from any feature phone using IVR, payment on missed call, etc.
You can make UPI payment without internet in these four ways, see
1. Payment through IVR Number: Users can make UPI payments through a pre-defined IVR number (like 08045163666 or 08045163581 or 6366200200). For this, select the option through the keypad and take advantage of the UPI service. The IVR offers a choice of multiple languages, which the customers can choose from as per their convenience.
2. Payment through missed-call: The missed-call based approach feature allows the phone user to access the bank account so that they can do routine transactions like fund transfer, regular purchases, bill payments, all by simply making a missed call on the number displayed at the merchant place. Actually, at the time of billing, the shopkeeper creates a token with the customer’s phone number and the bill amount for the purchase. Thereafter when the customer places a mill call on the number specified by the shopkeeper, he/she immediately receives an incoming call from 08071800800 asking to enter the UPI PIN to confirm the transaction.
3. Payment through the app found in feature phones: In fact, the digital solution for feature phones is a UPI app, developed by Gossip in association with Airtel Payments Bank. This app looks similar to the app found in the smartphone, but allows you to make payments without internet.
4. Payment Through Sound Based Technique: The solution is a proximity sound-based payment system developed by Tonetag in association with NSDL Payments Bank. This technology uses sound waves for contactless, offline and proximity data communication on any device. Customers can make payment to the shopkeeper by tapping any phone on ToneTag VoiceSE payment solution. Users can choose the option of payment to merchant by calling IVR number 6366200200. Then tap Phone on the shopper’s POD device and press #. After this a unique tone will come from the POD machine. Now enter the amount and then enter the UPI PIN to complete the transaction.