Gothic fashion originated in the early 80s in the UK on the post-punk scene, although its roots go back to the Middle Ages. This style has many fans today, and its popularity is unlikely to fade in the coming years. It can be found everywhere: in architecture, painting, clothing, and makeup. The Gothic aesthetic inspires iconic designers and contemporary subcultures.
What outfits should be in the wardrobe of every goth?
If you plan to go out more often in goth clothing, you must know each goth’s primary piece of clothing. So what should be in your wardrobe?
- Black dresses: what could be more stylish than a gothic victorian dress with embroidery and lace? Whether you choose long puffed sleeves or a sundress, add mystical chokers, chunky boots, assorted embellishments, and fishnet tights to your look.
- Long skirts: these are the perfect outfit if you want to feel like a pretty and mysterious witch. You can find skirts in different fabrics and styles. We recommend you look closer at the hi-low, handkerchief style, and Victorian walking skirt models.
- Shawls: you can find lovely lace shawls with puffy sleeves and varying embellishments.
Even if you are not a fan of gothic outfits, you can undoubtedly find exciting details in this fashion that will brightly complement your style.
A few words about Victorian dresses
Any modern gothic princess dreams of a luxurious Victorian outfit. What was the fashion of that time?
In the first half of Victorian rule, in the 1840s and 1850s, women’s dresses were tight with sloping shoulders. Such outfits had waists and bell-shaped skirts. Most of the ladies wore corsets that reached up to the knees and many layers of skirts underneath the dresses. Over time, petticoats and chemises were replaced by pantalettes and crinoline.
The fact is that the size of the skirt has increased, which means that the pantaloons were more suitable for this image. Dresses worn by ladies during the daytime have an entire bodice. For evening events, they often bare their shoulders and upper chest. A shawl and high gloves complemented such an outfit.
The main attributes of the Victorian style
It’s not enough to buy a Victorian dress to create an unforgettable gothic look; we recommend thinking through all the details of the style:
- Victorian hats: Victorian era ladies chose hats that complemented fashionable dresses and hairstyles. They had headdresses for balls and receptions and less formal options for riding and walking. Most Victorian hats were decorated with flowers, ribbons, feathers, and lace details.
- Victorian hairstyles: long hair during the Victorian period was a sign of femininity. Short hairstyles were worn by women who had health problems. In the 1870s, women wore elaborate hairstyles such as Marcel wave, crimped updos, the Victorian mullet, etc.
The Victorian era was a turning point for all fashion trends as it showed a change in public attitudes. The Industrial Revolution gave Victorian fashion unique features, making it new and exciting. Thus, the fashion trends of the Victorian era can be seen today in movies, on TV shows, and at various gothic events.