Lipoma is a common disease that causes fatty lumps to grow beneath the skin, affecting millions worldwide. It can be cured via lipoma removal from non-invasive and surgical techniques. While these lumps are usually benign, they can create discomfort and self-consciousness in those who have them.
This blog will go through the top lipoma removal treatment options, including their benefits, risks, and lipoma removal cost.
A lipoma is a benign growth of fat cells that forms a soft lump beneath the skin. It can occur in various body parts, such as the neck, shoulders, back, arms, and thighs. They are typically painless, slow-growing, and have a doughy or rubbery texture. While lipomas are usually non-cancerous and don’t require treatment, understanding their causes, symptoms, and treatment options can provide valuable insights for those affected.
Non-Surgical Treatment Methods
The doctors majorly recommend non-surgical treatment methods for those with small lipomas. These methods can help manage symptoms or reduce the size of a lipoma, although they may not eliminate the lump itself.
Here are some non-surgical options for lipoma removal:
Some of the best natural remedies for lipoma removal include:
- Herbal Poultices: Certain herbs, such as turmeric, chickweed, and flaxseed, can be made into a poultice (paste) and applied to the lipoma to reduce size.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Some claim that applying apple cider vinegar topically to the lipoma can help reduce its appearance or size. However, scientific evidence is limited.
Some of the best ayurvedic remedies for lipoma removal include
- Triphala: A blend of three traditional Ayurvedic herbs – Amala, Bibhitaki, and Haritaki. Triphala is believed to have detoxifying properties that can help shrink lipomas when taken orally.
- Kanchnar Guggulu: This Ayurvedic formulation is commonly used to treat various growths in the body, including lipomas. It is believed to help balance the doshas and reduce the size of lipomas.
- Intralesional Steroid Injections: A healthcare professional can inject steroids directly into the lipoma, which may help reduce inflammation and shrink the same. Multiple injections may be required over several weeks or months.
Note: It is important to consult with a healthcare professional before trying these non-surgical treatment options for lipoma.
Surgical Treatment Methods
Surgical treatment for lipoma removal is often considered the most definitive treatment option, particularly for larger or symptomatic lipomas. The choice of surgical technique would be determined based on the size, location, and symptoms associated with the lipoma.
Below mentioned are the surgical options for lipoma removal:
- Traditional Excision:
- This involves making an incision over the lipoma, surgically removing the entire lipoma along with its capsule, and closing the incision with sutures.
- Traditional excision is commonly performed under local anaesthesia and is considered a standard and effective method for lipoma removal.
- It can be used to remove larger lipomas or multiple lipomas.
- In this procedure, a small incision is made near the lipoma, and a cannula is inserted to suck out the fatty tissue.
- Liposuction is often performed under local anaesthesia and may result in smaller scars compared to traditional excision.
- Lipoma Removal Laser Surgery:
- Laser surgery can be used for smaller lipomas located closer to the skin surface.
- The laser beam is used to make a small incision and melt the lipoma, which is then removed through the incision or absorbed by the body.
- Laser surgery may result in minimal scarring and generally involves a shorter recovery period.
Lipoma Removal Cost
Lipoma surgery is one of the most commonly performed procedures in India and it requires utmost precision. Most lipomas are removed through the surgical procedure by cutting them. If they recur, then the lipoma removal surgery is performed again.
The average cost of different surgical methods for lipoma removal is listed below:
|Surgical Methods||Cost in India|
|Traditional Excision||₹ 10,000 to ₹ 50,000|
|Liposuction||₹ 20,000 to ₹ 80,000|
|Laser Lipoma Removal Surgery||₹ 10,000 to ₹ 70,000|
The lipoma removal cost mentioned above are approximate and can vary based on various factors. These factors include the following:
- Location: In India, some of the metropolitan or tier-1 cities have better infrastructure and the latest technologies than the tier-2 and tier-3 cities and rural areas. You can expect the treatment cost to be more in cities like Delhi, Bengaluru, Chennai, and Hyderabad.
- Surgeon’s expertise: The more experienced and skilled a surgeon is, the higher will be the cost of performing lipoma removal surgery. These professionals are known to perform surgeries with a high success rate and fewer complications. Also, they offer patients the desired results.
- Facility: Most of the advanced facilities are available in tier-1 cities, and this may cause a rise in the overall lipoma treatment cost. From room charges to lab test charges, everything is relatively higher in high-end hospitals and clinics.
- Case complexity: The severity of lipoma determines the cost of surgery. If a patient has a rapidly growing lipoma, multiple lipomas or a lipoma in a body part which is more difficult to operate on, then the cost of lipoma surgery tends to be higher.
- Post-surgery care expenses: A patient requires regular follow-up checkups after a lipoma surgery. The doctor may prescribe some medications, ointments, etc. If the patient takes longer to recover, then it may affect the overall lipoma treatment cost.
It is important to consult with a reputable healthcare provider or surgeon to get accurate pricing information specific to your situation. Additionally, costs may vary depending on whether the procedure is performed in a hospital or an outpatient clinic.
How to Choose the Best Lipoma Removal Treatment Method
Choosing the best lipoma removal treatment method involves considering various factors. Here are some key points to help you make an informed decision:
- Consultation with a Healthcare Professional:
- Schedule an appointment with a qualified healthcare professional, such as a dermatologist or a plastic surgeon, who specialises in lipoma removal.
- Discuss your specific case, including the size, location, and symptoms associated with the lipoma, as well as your medical history.
- Lipoma Characteristics:
- Consider the size and location of the lipoma. Larger lipomas or those located in sensitive areas may require surgical removal rather than non-surgical treatments.
- Evaluate the number of lipomas present. If you have multiple lipomas, then surgical methods like liposuction may be more suitable than excision.
- Treatment Goals:
Determine your treatment goals. Are you seeking complete removal of the lipoma or symptom management? Different methods offer varying levels of effectiveness in terms of lipoma removal.
- Potential Risks and Benefits:
- Discuss the potential risks and benefits of each treatment option with your healthcare professional.
- Consider factors such as scarring, recovery time, potential complications, and long-term outcomes associated with each treatment method.
- Cost and Accessibility:
- Take into account the cost of the treatment method, including associated expenses such as consultation, medication, and follow-up visits.
- Assess the availability and accessibility of the treatment method in your area, including the expertise of healthcare providers offering the procedure.
- Personal Preferences and Comfort:
- Consider your personal preferences, such as your comfort level with anaesthesia, scarring, or downtime associated with the procedure.
- Discuss any concerns or questions you may have with your healthcare professional to ensure you make an informed decision.
By carefully considering these factors and having thorough discussions with your healthcare professional, you can choose the best lipoma removal treatment method that aligns with your goals, preferences, and individual circumstances.
Treatment options for lipoma removal differ depending on the size and location of the lipoma, as well as the individual’s overall health and medical history. If you have any questions or would like more information on lipoma removal treatments, then speak with your doctor or a reputable medical platform like HexaHealth.